|Page (1) of 1 - 04/26/14||email article||print page|
Nearly 3,000 Volunteers Lend A Helping Hand To Michigan Community Groups For 13th Annual Comcast Cares Day
PLYMOUTH, Mich., April 26, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --On Saturday, April 26, nearly 3,000 local Comcast employees, their families and friends, along with local community partners, came together to "make change happen" as they volunteered to improve several community organizations as part of the company's 13th Comcast Cares Day.
Comcast Cares Day, which takes place every April during National Volunteer Month, is the nation's largest single-day corporate volunteer effort, and the company's signature day of service. This year, more than 80,000 Comcast volunteers participated in more than 700 projects across the country and around the globe, including 25 projects in Michigan. To date, more than half a million volunteers have contributed more than 3 million volunteer hours nationwide since Comcast Cares Day began in 2001.
"Making a difference in the local communities where our employees and customers live and work is at the core of who we are and is one of the best traditions we have at Comcast," said Tim Collins, regional senior vice president for Comcast in Michigan. "As a company, we believe everyone including local businesses like us has the ability to make a positive impact through volunteerism. It's inspiring to see such a committed group of individuals come together each year for such a great cause."
The following Comcast Cares Day volunteer projects took place in Michigan:
Week of April 21
- Plymouth (American Red Cross) employee blood drive at Comcast's Plymouth call center
- Sterling Heights (American Red Cross) employee blood drive at Comcast's Sterling Heights call center
- Ann Arbor (American Red Cross) employee blood drive at Comcast's Ann Arbor call center
Tuesday, April 22
- Bad Axe (Thumb Industries) recycling project in conjunction with Earth Day
- Howell (Stiggy's Dogs) cleanup projects in conjunction with Earth Day and construction of agility platforms for canine training to benefit veterans
- Lowell (Roanoke Ranch for Kids) outdoor spring cleanup, fence repair and prep for summer activities
- Southfield (Big Brothers Big Sisters) food packaging that will be donated to Forgotten Harvest Food Bank and children around the world
Saturday, April 26
- Ann Arbor (Kids Against Hunger) food packaging at Comcast's Ann Arbor call center that will be donated locally to Food Gatherers Food Bank in Ann Arbor, as well as children around the world
- Battle Creek (Food Bank of South Central Michigan) sorted and packed food items
- Dearborn Heights (Vista Maria) outdoor spring cleanup and laid mulch for walking path
- Detroit (Detroit Rescue Mission) outdoor cleanup and painting
- Detroit (Motor City Blight Busters) community cleanup of Farm City (Detroit) neighborhood
- Flint (Boys & Girls Club of Greater Flint) outdoor cleanup, landscaping and painting
- Grand Rapids (Boys & Girls Club / Camp O'Malley) outdoor projects
- Grand Rapids (Hope Network) paining and outdoor activities
- Jackson (MLK Community Center) sorted and packed food items for Food Bank of South Central Michigan
- Lansing (Greater Lansing Food Bank) assembled and planted community garden boxes and spring cleanup at Cristo Rey Community Center in Lansing
- Monroe (Arthur Leslow Community Center) outdoor cleanup and prepped a community garden for spring planting
- Muskegon (Feeding America West Michigan Food Bank) packed and distributed food to local residents, and community cleanup project
- Plymouth (Kids Against Hunger) food packaging at Comcast's Plymouth call center that will be donated locally to Plymouth United Way, as well as children around the world
- Pontiac (Habitat for Humanity) landscaping, painting and outdoor cleanup at two Habitat build sites
- Sterling Heights (Kids Against Hunger) food packaging at Comcast's Sterling Heights call center that will be donated locally to Gleaners of Macomb County, as well as children around the world
- Warren (Hope Center The Woods) cleaned up community garden, constructed rain garden and did spring planting
- Westland (Spectrum Human Services) indoor and outdoor cleanup, painting and landscaping
Comcast Cares Day will conclude in Taylor on April 29 at the Guidance Center Head Start where nearly 300 volunteers will do outdoor cleanup, planting, and crafts creation for donation to other head start classes.
Comcast has been committed to serving local communities since our founding 50 years ago. For more information on Comcast's volunteer and community investment initiatives, visit us on the web at www.comcast.com/community.
About Comcast Corporation
Comcast Corporation (Nasdaq: CMCSA, CMCSK) is a global media and technology company with two primary businesses, Comcast Cable and NBCUniversal. Comcast Cable is the nation's largest video, high-speed Internet and phone provider to residential customers under the XFINITY brand and also provides these services to businesses. NBCUniversal operates 30 news and entertainment cable networks, the NBC and Telemundo broadcast networks, television production operations, television station groups, Universal Pictures and Universal Parks and Resorts. Visit www.comcastcorporation.com for more information.
About the Comcast Foundation
The Comcast Foundation was founded by Comcast Corporation in June 1999 to provide charitable support to qualified non-profit organizations. The Foundation primarily invests in programs intended to have a positive, sustainable impact on their communities. The Foundation has three community investment prioritiespromoting service, expanding digital literacy and building tomorrow's leaders. Since its inception, the Comcast Foundation has donated more than $140 million to organizations in the communities nationwide that Comcast serves. For more information about the Foundation and its programs, please visit us at www.comcast.com/community.
Copyright 2014 PR Newswire. All Rights Reserved
Related Keywords:Internet/Web, Internet, Web, Television, Environmental Technology, Internet Technology, Green Technology, Entertainment, Internet, Children, Other,